TBM Avenger—This World War II torpedo- bomber was one of the types of aircraft originally stationed at NAS Wildwood. TBMs were built at General Motors Eastern Aircraft Division in Trenton, NJ. This model had been used as a forest fire water bomber in New Brunswick, Canada, prior to its arrival here. NASW’s TBM has the rare distinction of being listed on the National Registers of Historic Places.
Boeing-Stearman PT-17 Kaydet — Biplanes were the most widely used basic trainer of World War II. This Stearman was built in 1943 and is one the 10,346 that Boeing produced.
Aircraft below is the army version of the PT-17, while the aircraft above is the Navy equivalent.
The museum restored a Cessna 150, painted it in Coast Guard Auxiliary colors, and added it to the Coast Guard Exhibit area.
North American T-28C Trojan – The aircraft is equipped with arresting gear and was used for carrier-deck landing training. T-28s were produced beginning in 1949 and replaced the AT-6 Texan.
OE-2 Bird Dog
OE-2 Bird Dog (Cessna 321)- Used by the US Marine Corps in the late 1950s, there were only 27 of this observational aircraft built. The Bird Dog was used during the Vietnam War for reconnaissance and forward air control. The OE-2 was a redesigned version of the OE-1; after 1962 it was renamed O-1C. Variants of the L-19/O-1 Bird Dog were used from approximately 1950 until 1974, when it was retired in the US.